Skip to content

Photo Friday: Our preemie

November 30, 2007

It’s hard to believe that this little one


turned into this big one!


Our little one turned three this week.  It’s hard to believe this busy, boisterous, growing boy started out at 4 lbs. 4 oz.  He’s our preemie. 

novpam.jpgTo find out more, click here.

We never thought we’d have a November baby three years ago.  He wasn’t due until the middle of January, and I knew he’d come early, in December maybe, but definitely not in November.  But at only 33 weeks along, come he did. 

I was exhausted from taking care of sick people in the weeks before Thanksgiving, so my parents took the boys home with them after Thanksgiving so I could have somewhat of a rest. 

We had some friends come over the day after Thanksgiving to watch the new Harry Potter DVD, then movie buffs that we are (DH more so than me), we decided to go see the new movie National Treasure.  We came home, ate a light dinner and went to bed. 

I was lying there in bed and all of a sudden felt wet.  I moved, and felt more wet.  DH could sense something wasn’t right.  He asked what was wrong.  It took me a minute to figure out that, “I think my water just broke.”  I have severe Braxton-Hicks contractions from about 20 weeks on.  At every appointment, my doctor repeatedly told me to call him if they got too regular and close together.  “There are drugs we can give you to stop premature labor.”  All I could think at this time was, “They can’t give you drugs to put your water back in!”

Before I could even realize the full impact of what was happening, DH had jumped out of bed, gotten dressed, called 911, and I heard sirens on their way to my house.  It all happened so fast.  I was put into an ambulance headed for LDS Hospital, which was not where I wanted to go, my doctor wasn’t there, my DH was not in the ambulance with me, and I started bawling.  DH followed in his car, while trying to reach my doctor.  He and DH decided that there would be time to check me out of LDS Hospital (against their medical advice) and drive out to St. Mark’s hospital where he was on call.  Only after I was in DH’s car, speeding down the Avenues, did I really start to bawl as for the first time I began to worry about the precious baby inside of me and what would happen to him.  I was worried, I was scared.  We weren’t ready for this.

The nurses and my doctor were waiting for me, and it seemed a much more cheerful and familiar place than the previous hospital.  In fact, I was put in the same room where I delivered C which did a lot to put me at ease.  They measured me and checked everything and told us that we would probably have a 3 1/2 pound baby.  I couldn’t even fathom a baby that small and I feel very blessed that he weighed as much as he did.  I had gained more weight at that point than in either of my two previous pregnancies.  It obviously had an effect.

I was started on Pitocin to force the contractions and had a relatively short and uneventful labor, other than the fact that I shouldn’t even have been in labor at that point in time.  At 4:29 a.m., we welcomed our beautiful baby into this world.  I didn’t know it at the time, but a whole neonatal team was waiting outside the delivery room, ready for any eventuality.  Miraculously, everything was fine with him.  He didn’t need oxygen, everything was working properly, he was just so little.  But it was a difficult thing to see my baby being turned over to the NICU nurses and not being able to hold him before he was whisked away. 


He spent just 15 days in the NICU, mainly trying to keep his temperature up and jaundice away, while gaining strength enough to eat.  It was amazing to see what they can do with premature babies these days, and we didn’t even have one of the micro-preemies.  D was positively huge compared to some other babies there.  I felt bad for several of the babies next to him.  They had been in the NICU for months, literally, with no end in sight.  We felt so blessed to be able to take him home so soon, though he only weighed 4 lb. 9 oz. at that point and I was marvelling that they trusted enough to send him home with us.

He was allowed out of his isolette twice a day at 9 a.m. and 9 p.m.  Our LDS ward was wonderful and arranged to have people come to our home twice a day to watch A and C so we could be at the hospital to take advantage of every available opportunity to hold and feed our new baby.  It was amazing and humbling to see so much love and service poured out upon us.  We were truly blessed.  We also could feel the prayers of so many lifting us up and helping us to get through that time.


And now we’re so grateful that D is happy, healthy, and strong, and able to (generally) keep up with his brothers.  He is such a delight, and I have no doubt that “out of small things proceedeth that which is great.” (D&C 64:33)


4 Comments leave one →
  1. November 30, 2007 8:31 am

    Wow! What a birth story. It is always amazing to see Preemies years later. I personally haven’t had a preemie. My kids have all decided to stay until the bitter end and I just have to kick them out finally.

    He looks like he had a great birthday despite the lack of one of his presents. When you are 3 you are just excited about anything new.

  2. November 30, 2007 12:59 pm

    Happy Birthday! Thanks for sharing the story. Birth is such a beautiful and scary experience. My first one had to be forced out at 41.5 weeks. He did not want to come out — pushed for over 3 hours.

    Second one surprised us at 38 weeks. Thankfully he came then. He was 8’9″ at 38 weeks! HUGE!

    I am really glad your little guy is doing well. He’s a cutie!

  3. December 2, 2007 11:46 pm

    Happy Birthday D! What an incredible story he has.
    I’m so thankful for all the ways we can help these little ones. I loved the scripture that you shared at the end, and I am sure it suits D very well.

  4. Matt permalink
    April 2, 2008 8:56 am


    I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I’d like to request permission to use the photograph you have posted in this book. Please contact me at, and I’d be happy to give you more information about the project. Please paste a link to your blog in the subject field. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: