Skip to content

Christmas 2009

December 26, 2009

Let’s back up to Christmas Eve evening.  (Christmas Eve day is a whole other story.)

or why I crashed on the couch last night about 8:30



7:45 p.m. Boys were in bed but awake reading books after dinner, baths, and the Christmas story was told with hand puppets.

New pajamas:

8-10 p.m. Numerous trips out to the living room to

a) see what’s going on
b) get yet another drink of water
c) say they can’t sleep

Somewhere in there they did manage to fall asleep because at

11:17 p.m. C got up, saw us still up, and said, “Oh!  I thought it was morning!”  We sent him back to bed and followed him shortly.

Midnight-ish: “What’s that noise?” DH and I wondered.  Oh yes, it must be the bread machine which we set to do a vanilla almond loaf for breakfast.  Only we couldn’t remember how to set the timer correctly.  So instead of bread going from 4-8 a.m., it’s now going from 12-4 a.m.  I giggled.

12:47 a.m. DH climbed out of bed to find the boys up and unwrapping what’s in their stockings.  Due to bread machine being plugged in, the microwave, with that all important digital clock, was unplugged.  Not being able to tell the time from any other clock, the boys thought it was morning since they usually get up while it’s still dark anyway.  DH sent them all back to bed.  I giggled some more. 

4:00 a.m. Bread is done.  Bread machine beeped 8 times, waking us up.  Again.  This time I was really laughing even though contractions had already awakened me several times throughout the night as well.

7:30 a.m.  Finally the boys, having already devoured most of the chocolate in their stockings, came looking for us and we had to get up. 

And I wonder why I look pretty dead in every single picture DH took after that.

Christmas morning was filled with more chocolate, almond bread, oranges, Christmas music, and general chaos from three children simultaneously tearing into their presents.  It was over quickly.  I can’t even count the times throughout the day when one of them would bring me something and say, “Now who gave me this again?”  Because who can be bothered with reading the gift tags in all the excitement?  One of my favorite moments of the whole day though, was when C asked me who gave him his dragon stained-glass coloring book.  “I did,” I told him and he leaned over and gave me a big hug.  “Thanks, Mom.  I love it.” 

We had an enjoyable day with my parents and grandparents.  We managed to fit our 20-lb. turkey in our oven.  I think that’s only about the third time I’ve ever cooked a turkey so I’m glad it turned out.  The rest of dinner was really nice as well including my first attempt at stuffing.

But after a night with little sleep, a day of cooking and being on my feet, and watching the clock and counting down the hours until my doctor would be available should I go into labor, I was tired!  After the boys got in their pajamas and in their sleeping bags in the living room, we all sat around and read.  I actually fell asleep sitting upright on the couch while holding up the newspaper.  Then DH moved out to his computer chair and I gave up, fell over on the couch and was the first one asleep.

2 Comments leave one →
  1. December 27, 2009 11:51 am

    My kids kept us up all Christmas Eve as well. They kept getting out of bed asking if it was morning yet. This went on until about midnight. But finally they all (My 3 kids and 2 cousins in the same room) fell asleep finally and didn’t get up until about 7:00 on Christmas day. I remember doing the same thing to my parents except we usually got up at about 5:30 a.m. to see what was in our stockings.

    You certainly did a lot. Your poor body needs a rest. That time in the hospital is sounding better and better!

  2. December 27, 2009 3:00 pm

    You lasted long for hardly getting any sleep! Says a lot that you were able to laugh while it was all happening.

    Surprisingly the only one that kept coming out on Christmas Eve was our 14 year old! We told the kids they couldn’t come out until 7am Christmas morning. It was great!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: