Skip to content

December happenings

December 18, 2013

Wow, I’m home to blog tonight!  This year things have been such that no night has been double-booked, so while I haven’t had to pick and choose which activities to attend, I’ve also been gone practically every night this month.  This week looks better though.  We were all free last night so chose to go to Temple Square together and DH and I got out alone together tonight to finish up a little shopping.  Tomorrow is the last crazy night I think we’ll have.  DH is assembling fruit baskets at the church, I have a Relief Society dinner to attend, A is going out to visit all the deacons in his quorum and C and D have cub scout pack meeting, all roughly at the same time.  I don’t know where E will end up.

I think our hectic schedule finally caught up to me.  After we finished our reading this afternoon, everybody else got up and went their separate ways and I fell over sideways on our (too short to be comfortable) couch and slept for the next 90 minutes!  I think I must have needed it.  A was practicing piano in the next room and E kept coming to ask me questions, but somehow I wasn’t fully conscious until almost 5:00.  Luckily DH made dinner and let me rest.

Yes, we’re still doing school.  One week of no regular routine over Thanksgiving break was about all I could handle.  We were all so happy to get back into our school routine once that holiday was out of the way.  Plus things will be weird for a while after this baby gets here, so I’m trying to get as much schoolwork in as possible before then.  We’ve slowed down a bit and dropped a few things from our schedule, but we’ve made some great progress this month.  D finished his math book this morning and C is one review away from finishing his.

We’ve just had a hard time getting going in the mornings lately, but I really can’t complain.  We’ve been gone quite a few evenings for one thing or another and it’s nice to be able to sleep in when we need to and not have to worry about getting everybody up and on the school bus early in the morning regardless of what time they went to bed the night before.  Another perk of homeschooling, I suppose!

DH is home which always throws us off a little bit.  He has so much use-or-lose time accumulated at work that he’s been home since Monday the 9th and doesn’t have to go back to work until after New Year’s except for his weekend job and a few part-time gigs he’s picked up for some extra income.  His plan was to work on the house a bunch, but he tweaked his arm (the one he had surgery on last spring) and he’s getting over a head cold/sinus infection so he’s been catching up on rest more than anything else.  E has loved having him home though.  He’s been Daddy’s buddy a lot while we’ve been busy with school.

I’ve had a lot of head congestion lately and must be breathing through my mouth at night because I wake up a lot in the middle of the night and am completely dried out and needing water.  The boys have also been passing around head cold germs, although not enough to be really sick.  One Sunday we were all just sick enough to stay home from church except D who declared he wasn’t going to stay home just because the rest of us were, so he went to church by himself.  He sat with the bishop’s family and from what we heard, was quite the topic of conversation in the ward.  E wasn’t sick that Sunday and really wanted to go to nursery, but we didn’t think it was a great idea to send the 3-year-old to church with the 9-year-old.

In other 3-year-old news, his brothers have been talking up going to Primary and being in the Sunbeam class in a couple weeks.  D says, “It’s just like nursery only there are no toys!”  That might not be the best way to sell it, D!  E’s not excited and keeps saying, “I don’t want to be a Sunbeam!”  Only it comes out as, “I don’t want to be a Hunbeam!”

I played my last symphony concert two weekends ago.  It was more Christmas pops than anything, but still fun and not terribly stressful.  A played in church last Sunday.  We both accompanied a friend on “O Holy Night” at the ward party last Saturday and all the boys sang another Primary song while I played the melody on my cello.  I also played three numbers with my dad’s choir last Wednesday night on Temple Square and again Sunday night.  And both A and I are playing in church this coming Sunday.  It’s been tricky remembering what I’ve needed to practice when and making sure I show up with the right music, but it’s been nice too.  I haven’t played this many times in December for quite a few years and I know I probably won’t be performing anywhere for the next four or five months so I’ve appreciated all the opportunities.

And . . . I was going to add some pictures, but wordpress is having issues tonight, so I’ll have to come back and post later.  Stay tuned!

2 Comments leave one →
  1. Tamaran permalink
    December 18, 2013 8:44 am

    There is a children’s class tonight. Both my kiddos will be there. And I think one of Nancy’s will start there and the other will show up once Scouts is over.

  2. Lisa permalink
    December 20, 2013 1:44 pm

    I can relate to the new Sunbeam woes! My barely-turned-3-year-old is already declaring mutiny because the nursery leaders stopped putting out the toys awhile back to prepare the kids for Primary. They play with playdough, do puzzles, etc. but in his mind it’s the biggest drag ever, and he refuses to go. I’m afraid Sunbeams is going to be even more of a nightmare. None of my kids have ever had trouble going to Sunbeams, but I’m 99.9% certain that record is going to end here in about two weeks.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: