Skip to content

New year, new routines

January 6, 2014

We switched to 9 a.m. church this morning and it went better than I thought it would, especially considering we went to the symphony last night and never did finish the Sunday clothes ironing.  I thought it might be a shock to have to get up earlier than we have been, but of course I’ve been battling a head cold the past week and sleeping terribly so I was already awake when my alarm went off.  It was also fast Sunday so the boys didn’t eat breakfast and except for E, they can all dress themselves and get themselves out the door.  I’m not a morning person but I even made it there before sacrament meeting started so it was a good start to the day.

9 a.m. church is my least favorite to get ready for, but I really enjoy coming home at noon and having the rest of the day in front of me.  With church from 11-2, it felt like all we did (besides church of course) was fix food and eat on Sunday.  We had breakfast and sometimes a snack before church so we could make it past lunchtime.  We ate a late lunch after church and then it felt like we needed to start prepping something for dinner soon after or else dinner got pushed later and ran up against bedtime, especially if I fell asleep in the afternoon which I did frequently.  If I’d been smart I would have done a crockpot meal every Sunday to eat after church and then let everybody snack on their own before bedtime if they needed it.  But I wasn’t smart, I was mostly morning sick so I’m actually happy to be back on the 9:00 schedule.

In just a few weeks we’ll be adding a baby to the mix and I especially hate 11:00 church with a baby.  It seems to run into both the morning and afternoon naps.  Of course then I’ll have one more person to get ready for early church, and I’ll probably be running on little sleep, but for now I’m happy to be back to 9:00.

It was a really long afternoon after church today though.  I was looking forward to eating lunch together and then doing scripture study and journal writing with everyone, but DH and A had to take sacrament to the shut-ins and collect fast offerings so we ate lunch in shifts.  Then someone suggested leftover birthday cake and then we decided we might as well polish off the ice cream while we were at it.  Then C had a bunch of dishes to wash for his kitchen job, and DH went to take a nap as he’s fighting off a sinus infection.  So somewhere around 3:00, we finally sat down to read scriptures together.

I want to come up with a new and better routine for our Sunday afternoons.  I think we could do a lot towards keeping the Sabbath day more holy.  I haven’t figured out what I want to do just yet, but I’d like to include scripture study, journalling, family history research and/or indexing, working on Duty to God and Faith in God goals, and reading church magazines and general conference talks.  That’s a work in progress though and today I only managed reading scriptures and a few Ensign articles before I fell asleep in the living room armchair.  I started this pregnancy out by falling asleep here, there, and everywhere, and it seems I’ve come back to that!

So now here I am, up late again, when we have to get back to our post-holiday real life schedule tomorrow.  I’ve been hearing everybody say how hard it was to send kids back to school on Thursday morning after Christmas break.  We didn’t have that problem Thursday although I did teach cello lessons that afternoon and it felt like I should still be on  break.  Tomorrow will probably be a shock to the system though!  Not only do we start school again, but DH goes back to work after nearly four weeks off on use-or-lose time.  I’m guessing it will probably be rougher on him though than on us. He actually has to set an alarm for the first time in weeks and get up and leave the house whereas we simply roll out of bed to get going.

I haven’t really even looked at our schedule though.  I know we need to tweak a few things, but I’ve hardly had one homeschool thought in the past two weeks.  Aside from Christmas, I’ve been fighting a head cold (thanks, E!) and thinking about baby!  So we’ll see how things go.  C, especially, wants to open the chemistry set they got for Christmas and get to work.  According to our weekly checklists, we usually do science on Monday afternoons, but I start my weekly OB appointments tomorrow afternoon so that may get put on hold until I get back home.

If I remember past years correctly, it takes a good 2-3 weeks to get back into our routines after Christmas break, but we’ll be having a baby not too long after that to throw us off again.  So we’ll just hope for the best and what gets done, gets done!

Wish us luck!

2 Comments leave one →
  1. January 6, 2014 1:13 am

    Oi. 9am church is easily my least favorite. The Daddy works 2nd shift, and we’re all on his schedule, so our day typically starts between 8:30 and 9. Trying to be AT CHURCH at the time we usually wake up… Ouch. By the end of the year we were all sick and more than a little relieved.

    I flipped the page on my lesson plans the other day (we did a light schedule Thursday & Friday), and realized I had no plans. Oops. Not sure when I’m going to get that fixed. That takes *time* which is in terribly short supply.

    Good luck with your birth — I’m sure you’ll do great!

  2. January 6, 2014 10:00 pm

    Best of luck and happy baby expectations!!! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: